The next stage of my project, boarded my research on the meaning and symbolism of Ribbon . I found various information related to religion , folklore and culture in society
some examples :
black ribbon symbolizing mourning , in Euro-American culture
Red ribbon occurs frequently in different cultures
In Bulgaria, the red ribbon is wrapped bottle of rakia , a symbol of luck
In my Polish culture red ribbon, newborn children have attached ribbon just to prevent bad powers and spells.
I should mention that in other countries, colors can be completely different,than in Canada and the US on the car is a mass of green ribbons , which currently represent support for action in the Middle East.
Polish folklore , Ribbon as part of the outfit
BBC News, (2014). The history of the yellow ribbon. [online] Available at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29521449 [Accessed 2 Nov. 2014].
Sports and Ribbon
Here are five different colors of ribbons that may appear on equine tails at horse shows, along with the intent of each tint.
- Blue – Stallions are marked by blue tail ribbons at horse shows. At most equestrian events, only adults may handle stallions, as these intact male equines may be given to misbehavior, particularly around mares who are in season. Participants with mares may be especially careful around horses sporting blue ribbons on their tails.
- Green – A green ribbon on a horse’s tail signals that this is a young or otherwise inexperienced horse. Equestrians call such equines green, so this color choice sends an obvious alert. Such a horse may be extra spooky, jittery, or unpredictable and may require a bit of extra berth in the riding arena.
- Pink – Mares may wear pink tail ribbons when they are in estrus, or in season. During those periods, a female horse may be extra moody, cranky, or even spirited. She may be easily distracted by a stallion, and she will almost certainly be a distraction to stallions, or even geldings.
- Red – Horses that kick are expected to have red tail ribbons. Riders or handlers who see a crimson ribbon on a horse’s tail are warned to allow that equine plenty of extra room, preventing the possibility of injury to horse or human.
- White – A white tail ribbon indicates a horse is for sale. Prospective buyers appreciate this signal, so they may observe an equine in action during a horse show.
Zimbio, (2014). 19th Commonwealth Games – Day 9: Rhythmic Gymnastics.
Sports Medal Ribbon
Ribbon theme also occurs in movies
The White Ribbon (2009)
Das Weisse Band – Eine deutsche Kindergeschichte
Production: Austria France Germany Italy Premiere: May 21, 2009 ( world) Directed by : Michael Haneke